International Conference in London 28-29 November 2015
The Haldane Society of Socialist Lawyers, the International Association of Democratic Lawyers and the European Association of Lawyers for Democracy & World Human Rights will be hosting the “Women Fighting Back: International and Legal Perspectives” conference at London South Bank University (100-116 London Road, London, SE1 6LN) on 28-29 November 2015.
The aim of the conference is to bring a critical, left wing and intersectional perspective to the women’s movement and to provide a forum for exchanging ideas and practical skills between lawyers, academics and activists to advance women’s campaigns and struggles.
The main themes of the conference will be:
- Violence against women
- The role of women in peace processes
- Women in work
- Migrant women
- Climate change
We are delighted to announce the participation of:
- Angela Davis (USA) – Distinguished Professor Emerita in the History of Consciousness and Feminist Studies Departments at the University of California. Founding member of Critical Resistance.
- Rashida Manjoo (South Africa) – the immediate former (2009-2014) UN Rapporteur on Violence against Women, Professor in the Department of Public Law, Cape Town
- Wafa Kafarna (Palestine) – Norwegian Refugee Council and Palestinian activist
- Liz Davies (UK) – Housing Rights Lawyer, honorary Vice President of the Haldane Society of Socialist Lawyers and co-author of “Enforcing Housing Rights: the case of Sheikh Jarrah: Report on the fact-finding mission to Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories” for Avocats Sans FrontieÌres
- Jeanne Mirer (USA), President of IADL, founding board member of the International Commission for Labour Rights
- Frances Webber (UK) – vice-chair of the Institute of Race Relations’ council of management and a former barrister who specialised in immigration, refugee and human rights law.
Saturday 28 November 2015
10:00-10:15 Welcome Note:
- Liz Davies (UK)
Vice President of the Haldane Society and Housing Rights Lawyer.
10:15-11:45 Panel Discussion: Migrant and Refugee Women
- Louise Christian (Chair)
- Frances Webber (UK)
Vice-chair of the Institute of Race Relations’ council of management and a former barrister who specialised in immigration, refugee and human rights law.
- Dr Dorys Quintana Cruz (Cuba)
Professor of International Law, University of Havana
- Dr. Rayah Feldman (UK)
Chair Hackney Migrant Centre
13:45-14:15 Keynote Session
- Prof. Rashida Manjoo (South Africa)
Former UN Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women (2009-2015)
14:15-15:45 Panel Discussion: Violence against Women
- Elizabeth Gordon (UK)
15:45-16:00 Campaign for the ratification of the Istanbul Convention Action on violence against women and domestic violence (ELDH)
16:15-16:30 Open Floor
16:30-18:00 Panel Discussion: Women in conflict and peace
- Wafa Kafarna (Palestine)
Norwegian Refugee Council
- Alejandra Muñoz Valdez
Legal Advisor, International Crimes and Accountability Department, the European Centre for Constitutional and Human Rights
- Barbara Spinelli (Italy)
Member of the Italian Association of Democratic Lawyers and Expert on Femicide/ Feminicide.
- Dr. Ahlam Beydoun (Lebanon)
Lecturer in Law at the Lebanese University
Evening: Cabaret at Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, 145 Fleet Street with Scary Little Girls
Sunday 29 November 2015
10:00-11:30 Panel Discussion: The State and Women’s Bodies
- Gareth Peirce (Chair)
- Helen Steel (UK)
Police Spies Out of Lives
- Mara Clarke (UK)
Abortion Support Network
13:30-14:00 Angela Davis (USA)
Distinguished Professor Emerita in the History of Consciousness and Feminist Studies Departments at the University of California. Founding member of critical resistance.
15:55-16:45 Panel Discussion: Women in work
- Nadja Charaby
Rosa Luxemburg Foundation
- Yasmine Bennamanii and Zouzou Hadjer Zahida (Algeria)
- Bronwen Handyside (UK)
Vice Chair of UNITE London and Eastern Region
16:45-17:10 Open Floor